Thursday, July 21, 2011

A short morning rant

I haven't had my coffee yet, but as I was checking the internet this morning I stumbled over to the lego website and saw something that really made me pause and think. See if you can spot what I find objectionable in this photo of Lego categories:

From Lego's Website
Girls. As a category. Because clearly every other category is meant for boys. Now, I know that the common thought is that building toys like Lego and Tinker Toys are more often thought of as "boy's toys" but come on, this is 2011. We have school that don't use gender identifiers in order to help neutralize some of this cardboard cut out gender role shit we are spoon feed. Do you really want to market something like this? Pink tubs of Legos for girls? Aren't there some of us out there who were girls that yes, loved horses but also liked to build things? I can't have been the only one with more He-Man action figures than Barbies. And I am not saying in anyway that dolls are intrinsically bad, just that I think this kind of marketing is outdated and frankly offensive. Girls are more than this.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the day, I shunned anything pink.

    It's still going to happen, I honestly don't think it'll ever change (well, I'd hope so, but not in my lifetime). As long as there are women who only take care of children, and dress their girl is frilly pink and lace outfits...you get this kind of stuff.

    Even in my workplace, it is such that we have to have women initiatives (women's events, etc.) because the legal profession is more than half men, and they refuse to work with women, so we must promote them separately.

    Ah, gender roles...

    ReplyDelete